How To Apply for the Travel Fellowship
IUPUI Graduate Student Travel Fellowship Online Application Form
(required for application)
To help you estimate the cost of your trip and how much the university will allow you per day to cover meals on your trip (per diem rate), Indiana University per diem policy and rates can be found at Travel Management Services.
The maximum amount a graduate student may receive from the Graduate Office as a travel award is $1000. Faculty advisors and mentors are strongly encouraged to provide partial funds to support student travel and to indicate this support in the application and letter of recommendation. This is a competitive process and submitting an application does not guarantee funds will be awarded.
Student applicant responsibilities:
1. Applicants must be enrolled in a research-based graduate program as a full-time student during the semester an award is granted and the travel occurs (8 credit hours, 6 credit hours with and Assistantship, or full-time equivalent course such as GRAD-G 901). *
2. Applicants will indicate the total cost of the conference.
3. Applicants must submit proof of the acceptance of their poster or oral presentation from the conference committee.
4. Applicants must complete the online IUPUI Graduate Student Travel Fellowship application and obtain and submit school approvals (see signature page).
5. Applicants must submit a one-page synopsis of the conference and its potential impact on your academics and career.
6. Ensure Faculty Form is submitted prior to the posted deadline.
7. If the Travel Fellowship in not awarded, funding of the trip becomes the responsibility of the student/mentor/School.
*We will confirm all information provided and if full time enrollment is not met, the application will not be reviewed.
IUPUI Graduate Student Travel Fellowship Online Faculty Form
The maximum amount a graduate student may receive is $1000. This is a competitive process and submitting an application does not guarantee funds will be awarded.
1. Faculty mentor/department must submit a letter of support, which outlines the purpose of travel, importance of the research, as well as detailing the talents and strengths of the student, and reasons attendance at the meeting is important for this student. If a mentor nominates more than one student in a semester, they must outline the reason each student is deserving of funding including describing the talents and assets of each student and the importance of their research project. Keep in mind, funding is limited. The mentor or department must outline any funds committed by school/department to support the student's travel, and department account that funds should be transferred to (if awarded) via the online Faculty Form before the deadline.
2. The department is responsible for processing travel with the university. If the Travel Fellowship is not awarded, funding of the trip becomes the responsibility of the student/mentor/School.
How do I apply?
We have created a How-to-Apply guide for your convenience. Fellowships are provided to students who wish to travel to a meeting or conference to present their research studies. Students may also apply for funds to cover travel to a meeting to present research related to a teaching project at IUPUI. This program is competitive and students are encouraged to look for multiple sources of funding to support their travel including funds from their mentors, department, school and external sources.
How to Apply for the Travel Fellowship
How can the award funds be used?
Funds should be used to reimburse your program and/or yourself for acceptable expenses according to Indiana University Travel Policies. This includes, but is not limited to: round-trip flight that originates and returns to the Indianapolis, IN airport; lodging; conference fees; parking at the airport; ground transport while your meeting; and per diem rates to cover food based on the university policies.
IU's Per Diem Rates policy
Lodging and per diem cannot be claimed for a conference held within a 50-mile radius of IUPUI.
How much is the award?
This depends on several factors. First the committee reviews your estimated expenses, but also takes into account the quality of the overall application and support provided by your program. The maximum sum of $1000 can be awarded.
What is included in the application process?
We have created a How-to-Apply guide for your convenience. Please review this guide before staring your application. Also meet with your mentor or research advisor to discuss how this meeting will benefit your training and whether your mentor, department, or school will also provide financial support for your travel to the meeting. Evidence of financial support from the student’s academic program is important in the application review.
How to Apply for the Travel Fellowship
How are the applications reviewed?
Points are awarded for research activities and contributions, as well as achievements. The letter of support, financial commitment from the program, as well as your personal one-page synopsis of how the conference will assist you in your studies and career goals will be the primary focus of the committee.
Incomplete, incorrect or late applications will not be considered. Applicants who did not meet the eligibility requirements will not be considered. Please review materials carefully for accuracy.
You are responsible for all portions of the application; this includes ensuring that the Faculty Form is submitted by the deadline.
How will I know if I have been awarded a fellowship?
You will be notified via your university email account on or around the notification date listed under deadlines.
Will I receive the award prior to my travel?
Funds are awarded as reimbursements to your department only. You may receive notice of your award prior to your travel, but the funds are not transferred to your program until you return from your tip and the required receipts are submitted to your department representative. Your department representative will be responsible for ensuring that you are reimbursed.
How do I plan my trip?
You will need to work with your program / department to plan your travel according to Indiana University Travel Policies.
What do I do after I return from the conference?
After you return you will submit your receipts for acceptable expenses to your department representative to process your reimbursement. Your department representative will then complete the Travel Fellowship transfer electronic form (link provided in award notification) to access University Fellowship travel funds.
What if I am not awarded a Travel Fellowship?
Look at other campus opportunities, such as the Graduate Professional Student government's GPEG award and the IU Worldwide program.