Once you’ve finalized your thesis, your instructions for submission vary depending on whether your degree is conferred through IU or Purdue.
Pay careful attention to the deadlines for each of these steps.
IU Thesis Submission
Complete the steps below to submit your thesis.
Step 1: Defend
Once your thesis is complete, you must have it approved by at least three members of the faculty, usually the professors who have directed your research and writing.
Have the approving faculty members sign your acceptance page, which is required section of your thesis. Learn more about required sections »
Step 2: Schedule a Format Check
Once you are ready to begin the submission process, email the IU Graduate School recorder in the Graduate Office at IUPUI to schedule a format check. The scheduling of this appointment is mostly determined by the post-defense revisions required by your committee, but should take place well in advance of your expected graduation date to avoid delay. Submit the following for the format check:
- Committee approved thesis
- Copy of the signed acceptance page
Step 3: Submit to IUPUI ScholarWorks
Once the format is approved, upload the approved document to IUPUI ScholarWorks.
For information on IUPUI ScholarWorks »
Have Your Thesis Bound
After the submission is approved, have your thesis bound if a bound thesis is required by your program.
- The University Graduate School accepts only binding that uses the oversewn method. Velo binding available from some photocopying businesses is not acceptable.
- Ask the bindery to put the thesis title and your full name on the front covers and the title and your last name on the spines of the bound copies. Keep in mind that the title needs to fit along the spine of the bound thesis.
- If you are not in town, call National Library Binding Co. and ask what the normal specs are for an IU thesis, and then relay that information to a bindery near you.
- The University Graduate School recommends the following local bindery; however, you are not limited to this business. You may use any bindery that uses the oversewn method.
National Library Binding Co.
55 S. State Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46201
Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Visit their website »
Purdue Thesis Submission
The Graduate School at Purdue University details submission options for theses at its website.