Once you’ve finalized your dissertation, your instructions for submission vary depending on whether your degree is conferred through IU or Purdue.
Pay careful attention to the deadlines for each of these steps.
IU Dissertation Submission
Complete the steps below, in order, to submit your dissertation.
Step 1: Defend
Defend your dissertation.
Step 2: Schedule a Format Check
Once you are ready to begin the submission process, contact the IU Graduate School recorder in the Graduate Office at IUPUI to schedule a format check. The scheduling of this appointment is mostly determined by the post-defense revisions required by your committee, but should take place well in advance of your expected graduation date to avoid delay. Bring the following to the format check:
- Original signed acceptance page
- Original signed abstract
- The unbound dissertation on regular paper
Step 3: Have Your Dissertation Bound
After you’ve passed your defense, made the required changes and have passed your format check, you are ready to have your dissertation bound. The University Graduate School recommends the following local bindery; however, you are not limited to this business. You may use any bindery that uses the oversewn method.
National Library Binding Co.
55 S. State Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46201
Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Go to the company’s website »
Step 4: Submit to IUPUI ScholarWorks.
IUPUI students must submit the fully approved and formatted dissertation to IUPUI ScholarWorks. After that submission is approved, you may submit the document to ProQuest and get it bound. Make sure you read all submission instructions before attempting to submit through ProQuest.
You’ll need to decide if you want to register your copyright. Copyright registration is optional, and the fee is $55 through ProQuest. You should pay the fee directly to ProQuest electronically.
Once at the site, select “Submit my dissertation/thesis,” and follow the instructions. Email the following to the University Graduate School:
- Confirmation of electronic submission
- Fee receipt for submission
- Copyright fee receipt, if you choose to copyright your work
Step 5: Schedule an Appointment to Turn in Your Dissertation
Contact the IU Graduate School at IUPUI to schedule an appointment to turn in your bound materials.
Bring the following to this appointment:
- Confirmation of electronic submission to ProQuest; this confirmation is sent by email.
- The signed acceptance page with original signatures will have been submitted during the format review; photocopies of the signed acceptance may be used in the bound volumes. Learn more about required sections of your dissertation »
- One copy of your abstract signed by your full committee. Abstracts are required. This should be separate from the dissertation; however, unsigned copies will be included in the bound dissertations and the electronic submission to IUPUI ScholarWorks and ProQuest. The original signed copy remains on file at the University Graduate School Office. Learn more about required sections of your dissertation »
- Email the ProQuest submission fee receipt which will include copyright registration if you chose this option.
- One bound copy of your dissertation. Learn about binding and paper requirements »
Purdue Dissertation Submission
The Graduate School at Purdue University details submission options for dissertations on its website.