Here you’ll find the deadlines you need to keep track of to complete your thesis or dissertation on time.
In addition to taking note of deadlines, make sure you verify with your program any additional requirements they may have.
Your master's theses deadlines vary depending on whether your degree is conferred through IU or Purdue.
Please refer to the Master's Degree Progression Checklist for deadlines.
You must submit your format-approved thesis to IUPUI ScholarWorks by the 10th of the month in which you wish to graduate. Learn how to submit »
Be sure to allow time before this date to schedule a format check and make any needed changes to your document.
The Graduate School at Purdue University lists deadlines for theses on its website. Go to the Purdue Graduate School now »
Your Ph.D. deadlines vary depending on whether your degree is conferred through IU or Purdue.
Since your dissertation will take multiple years to complete, you need to be sure you are meeting deadlines at the beginning, middle, and end of the process. Please refer to the Ph.D. Degree Progression Checklist for deadlines.
Preparing to Write Your Dissertation
- Once you’ve completed your coursework and passed your qualifying examination, complete your Nomination to Candidacy (eDoc) form. This form must be approved by the University Graduate School at least eight months before graduation.
- Submit your Nomination of Research Committee eDoc. Your nomination eDoc must be approved no less than six months before you defend your dissertation.
- At least 45 days before you plan to defend your dissertation, schedule a format check for your acceptance page, and signed formatted abstract with the IU Graduate School recorder in the Graduate Office at IUPUI. Learn how »
- At least four weeks before you plan to defend your dissertation, give the members of your committee their copies of your work and the date of the defense. Learn more »
- At least 30 days before your scheduled defense, submit the PhD Defense Announcement Submission eDoc. Your defense announcement must be submitted and program-approved no later than 30 days before your defense.
- For dissertation submission, refer to the Ph.D. Degree Progression Checklist.
The Graduate School at Purdue University lists deadlines for dissertations on its website.