Financial Support

Tax Information

If you receive a fellowship or a stipend, you must consider your federal tax liability. Federal government agencies require students to determine taxation of scholarships and fellowships when filing annual income tax returns. IUPUI does not issue 1099s to scholarship holders.

  • Stipends and Tuition

    The general rule is that any income is subject to federal taxation. Qualified scholarships and fellowships, however, are excluded from taxation when the award is a qualified scholarship given to a recipient who is seeking a degree that is made for the purpose of studying or conducting research at an educational institution.

    All stipends are taxable income. For tax purposes, you must keep copies of all award notices and announcements.

    Scholarships and fellowships include tuition and fees required for enrollment or attendance at the educational institution and fees, books, supplies, or equipment required for courses of instruction at the institution.

    For items you wish to deduct, you must have receipts. Scholarship and fellowship recipients should keep fee statements, textbook receipts, and similar records to support their calculations of the nontaxable and taxable portions of their awards.

  • Who Must File

    All students must file federal income tax and state income tax. If you reside or have worked in another state, you may have to file in those states, also.

    Most graduate students are exempt from FICA, social security, and Medicare.

  • International Students

    Special rules apply to international students, visiting scholars and non-resident aliens. The IRS requires educational institutions to report scholarship and fellowship grants to non-resident aliens on form 1042S-Foreign Person's US Sourced Income Subject to Withholding.

    It is your responsibility to determine that the withheld amount is correct, e.g., whether a tax treaty exemption applies, whether the reduced withholding rate applies, etc.

    The IU Office of International Services’ (OIS) tax site has more information for international students.

  • When to File

    Students must file estimated taxes quarterly. Those waiting until the end of the year to file may be subject to penalties.

    All stipends are taxable income. For tax purposes, you must keep copies of all award notices and announcements.

    Estimated taxes for the calendar year are due in four installments:

    • April 15
    • June 16
    • September 15
    • January 15

    Payments should accompany a form 1040-ES with the student's social security number listed on the form. Failure to make these payments on time may result in the assessment of underpayment penalties.

    To avoid this penalty, you may:

    • Pay at least 90 percent of the tax shown on the current year's return
    • Pay 100 percent of the tax shown on the prior year's return, assuming that the return represents a 12-month period
    • Make payments on a current basis using annualized income installment methods.
  • Additional Resources